Re: Do we need a reliable multicast in kernel?

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, David S. Miller wrote:

> The things cluster people want is totally against what a general
> purpose IPV4 implementation should do.  Linux needs to provide a
> general purpose IPV4 stack that works well for everybody, not just
> cluster people.
>
> I'd rather have millions of servers using my IPV4 stack than a handful
> of N-thousand system clusters.
>
> If your company had the choice between making their CPUs useful to a
> handful of technical people or the millions upon millions of Microsoft
> users writing Word documents, which way would you prefer them to choose?

um.. If the CPU can be switched to the "technical people" mode by modifying
a BIOS item easily (make menuconfig), why shouldn't it support both?

> Next, how is that choice any different from the choice I'm telling you
> we're making for the Linux networking here?

Exactly.

> Sure, many people would like to simulate the earth and nuclear weapons
> using Linux, but I'm sure as hell not going to put features into the
> kernel to help them if such features hurt the majority of Linux users.

What I mentioned is a transport protocol bases on IP multicast feature to
provide a reliable multicast comm layer for the LAN users. It is totally
upon the IPv4 stack without any change with it. Just like the kernel SCTP
support, I don't think the majority of Linux users use it. But it does
useful for the telecom applications. So why not a RMTP for the cluster
applications?

Besides cluster people, there are other usage models for RMTP. Nowadays a
lot of people have more than one PC at home. They probably want to install
the OS (redhat 9) from network for multiple machines simultaneously, or
play network games, etc. Do you think those games should write their own
protocol stacks?

Opinions expressed are those of the author and do not represent
Intel Corp.

Zhu Yi (Chuyee)
Intel China Software Lab (ICSL)
22nd Floor, ShanghaiMart Tower No. 2299 Yan'an Road(West)
Shanghai 200336, PRC
Tel: 8621-52574545-1261
Fax: 8621-62366119

GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
http://cn.geocities.com/chewie_chuyee/gpg.txt or
$ gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 71C34820
1024D/71C34820 C939 2B0B FBCE 1D51 109A  55E5 8650 DB90 71C3 4820

-