Re: Do we need a reliable multicast in kernel?

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Zhao, Forrest wrote:

> Recently I found an IETF reliable multicast working group
> site(http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/rmt-charter.html).
> Since the kernel has the support for multicast now, do you
> think it's necessary to support reliable multicast in kernel?
> Are there many applications that need this rmt feature until now?

Multicast stream or bulk data transfer is much less relevant today that
it was a few years ago.

Most of the appeal of multicast was that the underlying hardware
implemented a shared broadcast media.  Thus local multicast was almost
free.   But very few installations still use shared media or repeaters.
Today's networks are implemented using switches, where multicast traffic
has to be handled as an exception in the switch firmware.  Thus using
full-bandwidth multicast is very likely to result in packet loss.

While it's possible to still get good performance with a specific
configuration by selecting an algorithm that works well with the loss
characteristics of the switches and the transmit patterns, this is not a
general purpose, deployable solution.

I'm not saying that multicast is in any way evil.  It's wonderful for
local service discovery and low-rate status reporting that would
otherwise be done with broadcast packets.  And, at a different level,
multicast allow wide-area internet "broadcasts" with carefully managed
networks of "repeater" hosts.  But none of these uses indicates that we
need reliable multicast implemented in the kernel.

--
Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993

-