Re: xfrm_user reliability

Hello!

> Do you have any objections to making the transmission of an error
> message reliable for NETLINK?

Error is returned in any case, it is ENOBUFS returned by recvmsg()
when we cannot return error specific for given request.

I think, memory bounds are better to keep really hard.
Reliable (in this sense) transmissions from kernel to user are impossible
in any case. This policy can be relaxed to be more convenient: sk->rcvbuf
is to be set high enough and some kinds of messages might be sent over
this limit f.e. up to 2*sk->rcvbuf. But this cannot make the transport
reliable anyway and therefore applications must implement recovery strategy.

For netlink reliability used to be provided with the fact that when a message
cannot be generated, netlink generates overrun: ENOBUFS. This means that
synchronization between kernel and user views is lost and application
must resync. This approach worked with gated very well.

Alexey
-