Simulating a network on linux.

Hi,

I am currently given the task to hook up a proprietory bus to the IP stack.
What this amounts to is having to replace the hardware driver and the
ethernet header to use our own hardware and our own (nmxbus) header to
carry the IP/ARP payload.  The next hurdle I'm running into is testing ARP
with the new header.  The first idea I have come up with is creating two
nmxbus interfaces on the same machine that will simple read and write to
memory to give a virtual connection between the two interfaces.  The two
interface will be given addresses in the same subnet to be able to exchange
ARP messages.  What I'm struggling with is whether there is a way I can
force the packet to go out a specific interface to the other interface.
The natural behaviour of the kernel is simply directing the packet to the
loopback interface.

Anyone has any insight on this?

Regards,

David Ho