Re: Bug with ARP - request source address on wrong subnet

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:02:47 +0100
Richard Underwood <richard@aspectgroup.co.uk> wrote:

> 	No standard, perhaps - but how about common sense?

This is pretty irrelevant.  If I were to change the behavior
then every who expects what we do now will break.

You're selfish if you still think it's OK to change this
behavior. :-)

> 	As it happens, arp_filter IS set to 1 for eth0. Since we're talking
> about incoming connections I don't see the relevance of using the 'ip'
> command.

It has everything to do with your routes and the 'ip' command.
'arp_filter' works by looking at the route it would use to get
from src to dst, and if it would go out this particular interface
where we heard the ARP it sends the response out, else it does
not respond.

So set your routes up right with correct preferred source addresses
and arp_filter will begin to work.
-