Re: Question on device's statistics updation

Prashanth T wrote:
    I was wondering why is that the network device's drop statistics
(/proc/net/dev) doesn't consider the drops from device queue.   What I
mean is,  if enqueing the packet [q->enqueue called in dev_queue_xmit( )
] results in NET_XMIT_DROP or NET_XMIT_CN or NET_XMIT_POLICED, we should
be incrementing the device drop statistics.   Otherwise, it looks like
there will be an inconsistency of tcp packets sent (seen from netstat
-s) to the data from the adapter (Tx-OK and TX-DRP from netstat -i ).
Let me know if I am wrong.

This doesnt address your main question, but there is no reason for the view from TCP and the view from the adapter to be consistent (e.g. TCP packets sent and adapter packets sent) else why have separate counters? :)). The point is that once TCP has sent the packet, any part of the stack below could drop the packet. It would be nice to count all the dropped packets, though. qdisc drops are the one of the few silent drops that I can think of. Its not the adapter dropping them, however, so they wont be counted in the device statistics, correctly, imho. We had a patch floating around to count them, iirc.

thanks,
Nivedita