Strange NIC behavior -

In a recent post I noted that my second netcard was bumping both my netcards off and wasnt able to use either when the second one was brought up with ifconfig. I just compiled and installed a new kernel 1 version higher 2.4.21 and the both work now. Seems tho, If I listen to traffic on the eth1 interface which is on a mirror port on a router, it drops A LOT of packets. ie:

tcpdump -i eth1
17955 packets received by filter
17857 packets dropped by kernel

This machine is quite able to handle the network load, I had a machine with less then half the power of this one dropping almost none. Is there something I'm missing here ?

dmesg & /var/log/messages shows no information about it at all except when the card goes promiscous ofcourse. I am using the tg3 driver on broadcom chips. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Tony Hernandez (53:61:72:67:65:6E:74)
Computer Programmer Analyst