Re: Fw: Rationale for policy check procedure

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 07:22:08AM +0400, kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> No. The principle is that required transformations must be
> present and exactly in correct order. If additional transformations were
> applied, they are ignored as not presenting any interest for policy.
> Hence, there is no "more trustworthy". There is "trustworthy" and
> "not trustworthy". Additional transformations cannot increase or
> decrease degree of our trust.

Thanks, that's a much better way of stating it.

> I guess you do not agree to the last sentence.

Correct.  In particular, I have problems when the additional transforms
contain tunnel encapsulation.

> >			One application of this is that any
> > packet with a non-empty security path is allowed through if
> > there are no explicit policies forbidding it.
>
> Hmm... If there are no forbidding policy, _any_ packet is allowed,
> without secpath or with it. It is sorta sense of absence of forbidding
> policy, is not it? If you are going to forbid IPIP or something,
> it is some forbidding policy already.

This does make sense.  However, it leads to the problem that I will
outline below.

> > Now perhaps that idea is that anyone creating a tunnel should
> > use firewall rules to protect themselves.  But it seems that for
> > that to work, we need to provide information about the security
> > path to the firewall subsystem.  Is that possible today?
> > that it imposes on the IKE daemon.
>
> I am sorry but I understood nothing... What tunnels do you mean?
> Maybe, it is worth to draw some picture.

Alright, let's simplify this to that of a single host A with one
Ethernet interface eth0.  Now suppose that the local network to
which A is connected is trusted to the extent that address spoofing
is not possible.

Now let's create a gateway G on the same network.  G ensures that
no packets enter the network from the outside bearing addresses
local to it.  Through G you can reach a remote gateway R which is not
as trustworthy.

Even so, A would like to communicate with a network N behind R.  So
we create an ESP tunnel between A and R with the remote subnet being
N.  As it is, R can send packets with any source address to A through
the tunnel, including ones bearing addresses belonging to the network
that A is directly connected to.

Now this could be dealt with in the firewall if it had information
about the security path.  Unfortunately that does not seem to be the
case right now.  It also imposes extra burden on the IKE daemon as it
needs to provide facilities for the appropriate firewalling to be
set up.

> If the state is present, do it. If it does not, do not care.
> Useless for security, though still well defined. Valid use is f.e. ipcomp.

That sounds reasonable.  Thanks.
-