Re: 3c59x (was Route cache performance under stress)

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, David S. Miller wrote:

> Acutally, the main issue with 3c59x is that it still
> uses PIO accesses. This basically makes it useless
> for routing or anything wanting serious latency.

I did try about 2 years ago and converted the driver to MMIO. I wasn't
able to see _any_ kind of improvement and I was using it in parallel
computation where latency counts. I have to say though that I wasn't
interested at that time in obtaining profiles and such because only the
end-user performance was important.

> Andrew Morton knows this,

... and knows about my MMIO trial too (mentioned also on vortex-list)...

> but he is such a good maintainer that he doesn't want to change over the
> MEM I/O accesses for fear of breaking something.

Given that the 3c59x driver supports several generations of cards most of
them being EOL-ed years ago, it's pretty hard to do such change. If a new
driver would be forked that serviced only the latest generations (Cyclone
= 905B and Tornado = 905C(X)), switching to MMIO would probably make sense
along with lots of others small changes (large MTU/VLAN, polling
descriptors, MII-only media selection etc.) and maybe have NAPI in the mix
as well...

> It's actually a simple change to make if someone wants to
> spend a few cycles on it,

Not if you include testing in those cycles :-)

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868
E-mail: Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De

-