From: David S. Miller [mailto:davem@redhat.com]
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 1:45 AM
To: xerox@foonet.net
Cc: sim@netnation.com; fw@deneb.enyo.de; netdev@oss.sgi.com;
linux-net@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Route cache performance under stress

   From: "CIT/Paul" <xerox@foonet.net>
   Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 19:55:58 -0400

   The problem with the route cache as it stands is that it adds every
new
   packet that isn't in the route cache to the cache, say you have
   A denial of service attack going on, OR you just have millions of
hosts
   going through the router (if you were an ISP).

We perform now rather acceptibly in such scenerios.   Robert Olsson
has demonstrated that even if the attacker could fill up your entire
bandwidth with random source address packets, we'd still provide 50kpps
routing speed.

And this can be made much higher because the performance limiter is the
routing cache GC which isn't tuned properly.  It can't keep up because
it doesn't try to purge the right amount entries each pass.

All the performance problems I've seen have been algorithmic or outright
bugs.  Bad hash functions and limits in how big the FIB hash tables
would grow.  And what's left is fixing GC.

There is nothing AT ALL fundamental about a routing cache that precludes
it from behaving sanely in the presence of a random source address DoS
load.  Absolutely NOTHING.

   This can stifle just about any linux router with a measly 10
   megabits/second of traffic unless

Not true, that happens because of BUGs.  Not because routing caches
cannot behave sanely in such situations.

   The router is tuned up to a large degree (NAPI, certain nics, route
   cache timings, etc.) and even then it can still be destroyed no
matter
   what

And today, this is because of BUGs in how the GC works.  You can design
the GC process so that it does the right thing and recycles only the DoS
entries (those being very non-localized).

You should interact with Robert Olsson who has been doing tests on the
effect of gigabit rate full-on DoS runs where every packet creates a new
routing cache entry.

Franks a lot,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com