RE: from where can you call dev_set_promiscuity ?

By "crashes", do you mean a panic or a hang ?

We've seen a system hang happen when using tcpdump. The tool would put the
device in promiscuous mode and then take it out upon terminating. At that
point we sometimes get a system hang if traffic is running, that when
analyzing with kdb seems to be a deadlock between the br_lock and the
device's xmit_lock being held in opposing order. It seems that it must be
called only after disabling bottom halves in order to prevent other softirqs
from running.

--
| Shmulik Hen                             |
| Israel Design Center (Jerusalem)        |