RE: skbuff headroom guarantee in the driver?

The driver needs to have guaranteed space between the head and data of skbuff (prepend MAC header), so it could stuff some information and send it the MAC hardware. On the Rx side, the driver allocates the skbuff, so it can allocate the required headroom to receive similar information from the MAC hardware, without any problem. I'm afraid, the control buffer of skb doesn't help in this situation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jed Carlson [mailto:jcarlson@katalix.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 3:44 PM
To: linux-net@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: skbuff headroom guarantee in the driver?

Have you considered whether you can use skb->cb[]? This can be used as a scratch area to pass information with the skb. But be aware that its contents isn't guaranteed to be preserved as the skb passes through the kernel since it may be used by other kernel subsystems. Take a look at how it's used by the TCP code via the macro TCP_SKB_CB().

-Jed

Is there a way to guarantee headroom for the Tx packets to be used in
the Mac driver. Increasing the hard_header_len doesn't seem to be the
way to go because in the TCP processing skbuffs are allocated with
MAX_HEADER_LEN and it doesn't seem appropriate to bank on this
macro. If I want to pass some extra information (say, some descriptor
realted) to the MAC by prepending the packet, what is the best way to
do it? I guess, one could argue that it is no longer a true ethernet
header and hence a new header should be introduced. However, the extra
information is not any mutated mac header but is some descriptor
information that needs to be passed with packet for performance
reasons. Needless to say, I'm hoping to avoid using skb_realloc_header
in the driver.

-