problem probing network interfaces

   Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 11:56:35 -0400
   From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com>

   > That is not necessarily the case.  What is the case is that
   > you absolutely cannot assume that a non-UP interface will give
   > a valid link status.

   Correct.  And this will become -more- true as time goes on.
   Ideally we will be powering-down the NICs if the interface has been
   down more than a few seconds.  It's just luck and (in some cases)
   ancient drivers, that getting link-status when interface is down
   works at all.

OK.  So why are you testing for "running" rather than "up"?  Are these
two synonymous in the kernel?

More generally, I need some help understanding how to configure a
"down" interface to detect link beat.  My program polls the known
interfaces to see if there are any changes to link beat.  Right now
I'm just ORing in IFF_UP to the existing set of flags but I worry that
by doing so I'm doing too much.  Is there a minimum set of flags that
will give me access to link beat without making the interface fully
active?
-