LAN browse error "could not connect to host localhost"

Hello list,
Sorry to ask what should be a simple question. I simply have not yet found
an answer, or a resource to solve this myself.
(have looked thru RH docs, some samba docs, lists from both)
It seems this should be easy from the docs I've read (do X + Y, and restart).
I think what I need is a 'troubleshooting guide'.
... with 'F' problems, look 'here' kind-of-thing.
note I'm not a programmer - more of an experienced w2k user trying to learn

So here's where I am:
- new build of RedHat 8 with rhn updates, including samba
- eth0 set to dhcp client with local domain hostname
- iptables set to not start at boot
- samba set to start at boot (RunLevel 3 & 5); smb.conf has:
  -- w2k workgroup name; hostname shows in w2k Network browse list
  -- some basic [global] permission settings
  -- some basic share setups, browseable from w2k workstation
- I have a 2nd system with debian and a fully operational samba.

- when I try to browse the LAN via the RH box by Konqueror, LAN browser:
  -- I get an error "could not connect to host localhost"
  -- this does not happen with the debian system.
Any thoughts for where to check would be very-much appreciated.

aside: The RH host-name shows up in my w2k WINS server,
... but the RH host-name does not show in my w2k dns server.
The debian host-name shows in both WINS and dns servers under w2k.

Is there some way to get RH 8 to automatically update its hostname
 and IP into a w2k dns server? I found a reference in the debian system to
'send host-name "name";' within file dhclient.conf. Is this what's making
that work? Where might I insert such for a static IP workstation?
JAMES E. FERRIS, B.Sc. Eng., MCSE
Edmonton, Alberta
Tel: (780)473-6517
email: jeferris@shaw.ca