TCP connection time

Hello everyone,

I get connection time by running httperf tool.

I noticed that if web server load is very high, the connection time on
client machine which runs httperf will become great. If only one
connection one http request, connection time will be just 600
microseconds on lan, due to RTT is around 200 microseconds. Big load on
server, connection time grow to 60 milliseconds. That is huge
difference, 100 times bigger.

I guess
client connection time = network RTT + server TCP stack process time +
client TCP stack process time.

By reading book <Unix network programming Networking APIs: Socket and
XTI>, on Page 39 Figure 2.5 packet exchange for TCP connection, my
understanding is that work is done inside TCP stack. I guess receive
packets is handled inside NIC interrupt.If done in interrupt, how this
will be effect by web server load? As interrupt is real time? How to
lower client connection time?

Thank you for your time to read my request.
TIA
Leigh

-