Applications knowing about network cable being disconnected

Hi,
I am curious as to why the kernel lets applications know that the network connection went down.

In 802.11 networks, when I roam out of coverage, why should an application know?  The kernel, I would think, should keep and try retransmitting the information when the network comes back up... after all, these are TCP connections.

I mean, the problem may well have been that my router went down ...
TCP is supposed to try and keep sending isn't it?

My question is really why there are so many companies focussing on "session connectivity" accross 802.11 networks... shouldnt this just be a core functionality of the kernel?

Thanks
Lee