tcpdump is dropping packets on 100 Tx.

Hello,

We have the following configuration:
2 Xeon 2800 MHz, 512 KB L2 Cache
1 GB RAM
70 GB Hardware RAID-0 on Compaq SmartArray controller
4 Intel EEPRO Fast Ethernet cards (eth0-3)
2 Broadcom Gigabit cards (eth4-5)
Linux-2.4.20
libpcap 0.7.2 and tcpdump 3.7.2

In our attempts to configure our server to be able to capture network
packets at up to 70,000 packets per second per interface we have come
accross the following problem:

We see tcpdump reporting "xyz packets dropped by kernel" on the 100 Tx
card(s).

We begin to see this message when our packet rates exceed 10,000
packets/sec/interface. The packet size is currently 70 bytes.
We have proven that the kernel is correctly recording the number of
packets, however TCPdump (of libpcap?) appears to be dropping some.

Can you please tell us how we can determine where the problem is and if
we are missing any parameters/settings that we should set from kernel
and/or tcpdump/libpcap POV?

Also we have the "Packet Socket: mmaped IO" support enabled in the
kernel, however is there a way to confirm if tcpdump/libpcap are
utilising that feature (that is if that feature would help our scenario
in the first place). Can it be confirmed by running tcpdump through
strace?, if yes what is the evidence to look forward to? (is it mmap2
function calls?)

Thanks for your help
Hari
harisri@bigpond.com