TCP and UDP over Ethernet

Hi,

Does Linux include any reduction of TCP transmission rate over Ethernet
when no actual packet losses are present? I've heard that some unices cut
TCP's congestion window in half when ethernet collision occurs or
interface queue fills up (however no packet loss has occured).

The reason I'm asking is that I'm playing with application-level
congestion control running over UDP and it beats TCP pretty badly over
LAN. If the above is true, when the situation becomes clear as there is no
way how the kernel can inform a UDP application about ethernet details.

Thanks,
Andrei

-