Strange delays of small packets (2.2 and 2.4)

Hello,
After upgrading to 2.2 (yes, this is not a mistake;) i experienced very
strange delays of small packets (<100 bytes). There is no regular pattern
- sometimes about 100 packets go without any delay. I tried out 2.4.20
- same effect as with 2.2.23. The cables are not the reason - 2.0.39 works
fine on the same network. These delays can be observed just by pinging
another host, but they occur also in TCP - running a telnet session is a pain.
They are much less frequent, if the session (or pinging) goes through a
router and disappear completely for larger packets. The delay is sometimes
almost equal to 1 second, and if it is longer, it is always almost equal to
2 seconds. It seems not to be bound to a particular network card or cable
type - I observed the delays on 10 Mbit coaxial cable with ne2k-pci cards
and (but more rarely) on 100 Mbit/s switched ethernet. There are no packet
losses.
I realize that this is not a concrete information. What could I do to
make a better report? There are no kernel messages related to the network
activity, just these delays.
Regards
Krzysztof Strasburger
-