RE: ipv6 multihoming 2.4(.20)

Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> In article <000901c2aabb$eb2d0e40$210d640a@unfix.org> you wrote:
> >> no they didnt, I must know I am the net tools maintainer. The
> >> default target is supported in route 1.57.
> >
> > Hmmm you probably know this better but as (cut from route.c)
> > 8<---------
> > *              (derived from FvK's 'route.c     1.70    01/04/94')
> > ---------->8
> > I think one can say that it supported it all along :)
> > 1994 is almost 10 years ago again, and the patch went in before
> > that apparently...
>
> the CVS versions of the source files are not related to the net-tools
> release version. 1.57 was released in May 2000.
> <http://www.tazenda.demon.co.uk/phil/net-tools/>

That explains, and I prolly didn't notice at the debian packages
(provided by you to debian ;) get upgraded automatically without
me checking what gets upgraded. btw there is no seperate changelog...

> >> it is not a hack it was there for a good reason, to avoid
> >> link and site local routes.
> >
> > No the 2000::/3 is a hack because one couldn't specify a default
> > route using the <2.4.20 kernels.
>
> the reason why the default route for gateways(!!) was not
> possible is not a bug or missing feature, but by intention,
> to avoid a route on a exterior gateway which would also
> route site and link local addresses.

That explains the behaviour a bit, even though I prefer the second
version, ability to set default routes and then fixing the site+link
locals seperatly usually per interface.

> > It has, as far as I know and realize, always been like this
> on Linux:
>
> yes because site and link local routes are not matched by 2000/3
>
> 2000/3=0010xxxx...
> fe80  =11111110....

This could break one day (far far away when our childrens kids grow up
:)
Btw it's 001xxxxxxxx (0010 == /4). In the far future one could see
the 010/011 etc variations also being used if the address allocations
seem to go wrong etc. But it looks like the current allocationscheme is
doing quite well.

> > As you see I still have a 2000::/3 because a default can't be added
> > because of the <2.4.20 kernel and the fact that this box
> has forwarding
> > turned on.
>
> yes, but if you add 2000::/3 you do not have a default route
> which routes site and link local addresses, which is the idea
> behind using that prefix.
> So it is not a good idea to actually use "default" aka 0::/0.
> (unless 2.4.20 is not routing those prefixes, which I have to check
> in the  code -or- you manually make sure you habe site/link local
> point to somewhere else).

Usually, as far as I know on any linux kernel sporting v6 one will
see something similar to:

8<-----------
3ffe:4007:1:1::/64 dev eth0  proto kernel  metric 256  expires
2591946sec mtu 1500 advmss 1440
fe80::/10 dev eth0  proto kernel  metric 256  mtu 1500 advmss 1440
ff00::/8 dev eth0  proto kernel  metric 256  mtu 1500 advmss 1440
default via fe80::230:7bff:fe19:f400 dev eth0  proto kernel  metric 1024
expires 1746sec mtu 1500 advmss 1440
unreachable default dev lo  metric -1  error -101
------------>8

So the fe80::/10 and ff00::/8 prefixes are routed over eth0 and not
to the 'outside'. This holds true for (afaik ;) gateways and clients.
Also afaik this has always been this way.

> > Anyone know the real reason ?
>
> trust me :)

I don't have any problems with that ;)
And it's good to know the real story about the non-default-on-gateways.

Greets,
 Jeroen

-