Alias interfaces in 2.4.18

Hello,

i found that sometime adding an alias interface fails with:

SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address

That was not the first alias on this interface, and a bit later adding the
same alias succeeded.

So i wrote a test script (alias_test.pl, attached) that adds aliases, deletes them randomly and
re-adds the deleted again.
This fails reproducable (see output at the end).

I used kernel 2.4.18 and 2.4.19 for testing.

Furthermore it seems that (also reproduceable) the deletion of an arbitrary
alias causes all aliases on that interface to be deleted.
(is there something wrong with the handling of the IFA_F_SECONDARY in net/ipv4/devinet.c ?)

That explains not the failure while adding aliases i mentioned above.

Maybe i misconceived something about aliases, please correct me.

Thanks in advance

Daniel Stutz

Output of alias_test.pl:

# perl alias_test.pl
Adding:
1 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:1 1.1.1.1 up
2 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:2 1.1.1.2 up
3 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:3 1.1.1.3 up
4 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:4 1.1.1.4 up
5 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:5 1.1.1.5 up
6 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:6 1.1.1.6 up
7 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:7 1.1.1.7 up
8 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:8 1.1.1.8 up
9 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:9 1.1.1.9 up
10 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:10 1.1.1.10 up

Deleting:
5 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:5 down
4 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:4 down
7 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:7 down
1 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:1 down

Adding again:
5 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:5 1.1.1.5 up
4 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:4 1.1.1.4 up
7 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:7 1.1.1.7 up
1 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:1 1.1.1.1 up

Deleting:
10 /sbin/ifconfig eth0:10 down
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address

--
Daniel Stutz <Daniel.Stutz@astaro.com> | Product Development
Astaro AG | http://www.astaro.com | Phone +49-721-490069-0 | Fax -55

Bulletin Board: http://www.astaro.org