Re: Self starter

Thanks.
I'm aware that LXT971 is physical layer interface, but I think I need to
have a driver of this hardware to work the network protocols.
I am correct?

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           Matti Aarnio    |
|         |           <matti.aarnio@zm|
|         |           ailer.org>      |
|         |                           |
|         |           09/26/2002 04:24|
|         |           PM              |
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->
  |                                                                                                                               |
  |        To:      gbaldona@lexmark.com                                                                                          |
  |        cc:      linux-net@vger.kernel.org                                                                                     |
  |        Subject: Re: Self starter                                                                                              |

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 04:09:09PM +0800, gbaldona@lexmark.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am just new to linux OS. I am currently tasked to make a Network device
> driver using the Intel Level One Phy(LXT971/972). This is not currently
> supported by Linux. I really don't know where to start with. I find
network
> drivers confusing compared to Character device and Block device driver.
> I've read the
> Network Device Driver chapter in 2nd Edition but the info I got is not
> enough. Can you help start this?

  The devices you are referring to are what in ethernet are known
  as PHY -- Physical layer interface.

  There is no driver to be written for that (well, almost none).

http://www.intel.com/design/network/products/lan/datashts/24941402.pdf

  You will need a Media Access Controller (MAC) in addition to the PHY
  to do networking at some meaningfull protocol level.

-