Standardizing the HARDWARE INTERFACE TYPE number

Hi All,
         I was just thinking if  we could standardized or
write down in a header file the Hardware interface type Nos for
Networking devices.
         Currently the "struct net_device" has a field
named "type" of  "unsigned short".
 i.e     struct net_device
         {
             ----------
             unsigned short type;
          };
Everytime somebody who is working on a product
which has  ethernet,PPP,ATM,AAL5 over ATM etc., one
has to come up with their own "Hardware interface type"
numbers. And if someone wants to put some specific
checks on the interface type nos, he/she doesn't have
a standard header file to look up. And  Propritary numbers
doesn't scale well as we all know.
          I think by coming up with some standard nos,
probably derived from RFC1573 ; all of us would be
much better-off  as linux continues to move toward the SOHO
market with Many Hardware Interface Types.
          Any New Suggestions ?

THX,
        Suresh

-