Re: proxy_arp as DHCP fail-safe solution

Pekka Savola wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Manuel Carrasco wrote:
>

>>I have modified arp.c in order avoid responses to arp requests when the
>>source IP is equal that the target IP and Proxy-ARP is enabled.
>>This feature will support to hosts with static IP even when the address
>>are topologically incorrect.
>>

>[...]
>
>As already noted, this is an extremely bad idea.
>
>Moreover, if your network admin or upstream acted responsibly, they would
>be filtering bogus addresses from that direction; apparently they don't.
>
>Mobile IP or a VPN is probably what you want.

There is not reason to respond with proxy-arp to 'the some' client address.
In fact if the client is windows this response disable the client
interface but not in linux (or other flavour Unix), I don't know nobody
using proxy_arp as a security mechanism.
A bogus address have nothing to do throw the router becouse response
packets in conection don't return (as you say in standard instalations
these address must be blocked specially from the internet interface).
In fact to do use of this feature is necessary to play with iptables
(nat & mangle) and ip route utilities to route response packets, and
obiouslly other high level auth mechanisms that enable they.
An incorrect address in our internal network has nothing to do if the
rest of computers are correctly configured.
The problem is a malicious guy with physical access to our network :-(.
I dont see problem to include this patch in kernel, perhaps would be
recommendable to enable this functionality with a kernel proc_fs variable.

Manolo

-