Re: brctl MTU problem over DSL

On Friday 19 July 2002 12:11 pm, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> Bridging between networks with different MTU's is always going to be a
> problem.  You can of course set a smaller mtu with ifconfig.

i tried this on the br0, eth0, nas0(atm) interfaces: nothing.

i don't think this is going to work anyway: the bridge is a passive
device and does not communicate the MTU to upstream/downstream.

> Ideally, the bridge would be smart enough to send back ICMP packets so
> MTU discovery would work, but the bridge probably doesn't understand IP.

that's exactly the problem. the bridge is just a bridge does not do IP.

I was trying to figure out the stack on this situation:

                           bridge (eth frame)
                                     ^

 br2684-add/strip LLC from eth frame  (interface in promisc mode)
                                    ^

                                 driver
ROUTER<--->DLSAM< ---> ATM card (hw SAR)

If this works one way (from eth side toward ATM) why it breaks on the other
side ?

-