From: F.H.G. Ogg [mailto:ogg@natlab.research.philips.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 10:34 AM
To: linux-net@vger.kernel.org
Subject: flow labels IPv6

(please CC your reply to me directly at ogg@research.natlab.philips.com)

Hi !

For several weeks now I have been trying to set a flow label and/or Traffic
Class in IPv6 UDP messages (kernel 2.4.18). There seems to be no
documentation available
about this apart from
 -IETF:  Advanced sockets API for IPv6 (lacking the FLOWLABEL_MGR approach
taken in Linux)
- IETF: drafts on IPv6 API (flow labels API has been withdrawn)
- IPv6 Flow Labels In Linux-2.2 (by Alexey N. Kuznetsov) 1999.  (lacks
#include requirements)
-everything in /usr/include and /usr/src/linux-2.4.18

The problem is:
What header-files should I include when compiling a program that uses IPv6
sockets and requests a specific flow label from the flow label manager
system? When I include
<linux/in6.h>   which contains the necessary #define's
even without ANY other #include statements GCC breaks with a "redefinition"
error?!? I conclude from this that <linux/in6.h> was not meant to be
included in user level applications (the same goes for <linux/ipv66.h>). The
question remains: "which header SHOULD be included for this to work?"

Attached you canl find my simple UDP sender program, wich does not compile.
Ofcourse I don't expect you to start debugging my code, but I suppose it may
be helpful.