Virtual ethernet over internet?

Greetings. Here is the story. There are two home networks consisting of several
winboxes and a linux gateway. Both gateways are interconnected through a gre tunnel
over the internet. The proper routing and firewall rules are applied, as a result
everybody can reach everybody, dynamic port applications work without restrictions
etc. But from all the reading I've done there should be more to it. It appears that
it is possible to present both networks like one big ethernet segment from windows
clients' point of view. So windows sharing can browse all the PCs in a workgroup
(given broadcasting can be passed through the tunnel and rerouted), or even IPX
frames can be relayed as all the machines are on one ethernet. I would appreciate
any suggestions, links to readings or abything similar. It appears this application
of vlans is very poorly documented...

Peter
-