Cisco FEC & Quartet66 card

[ I'm not subscribed to linux-net so please keep me in the Cc.  If
there's a better forum for this please inform me of it. ]

Context:

I am attempting to get an Adaptec Quartet66 card working with the linux
bonding driver.  This is a 64-bit/66Mhz PCI card with its own PCI bridge
onboard and 4 Adaptec Starfire fast ethernet controllers on it.  I'm
using a fresh RH7.3 XFS install and the included SGI kernel
v2.4.18-4_XFS w/ the starfire and bonding drivers compiled as modules.
When I boot the machine all four ethernet interfaces on the card are
detected as eth1-eth4 (where eth0 is an Intel NIC built into the
motherboard).  I am able to configure and use all of the ethernet
interfaces discretely without issue.  However, when I ifenslave
eth1-eth4 to bond0 and ifconfig bond0, I am unable to pass any traffic.
bond0 correctly inherits the MAC address of eth1, the first interface
enslaved to it, as bonding.txt in the kernel networking docs indicates
it should.  Once I have ifenslaved all four ethernet interfaces to it,
ifconfig shows that eth1-eth4 all have the same MAC address as bond0,
the address actually associated with eth1 in hardware.  bonding.txt does
not indicate whether that behavior should occur so I am unsure whether
that is relevant.  I cannot DHCP an IP once I've configured the bond
interface and if I manually assign a known routable static IP to the
interface, I get "Destination host unreachable" errors from ping for IPs
of machines on the same subnet and switch backplane.  The switch I am
using is a Cisco C3548-XL running IOS v12.0(5.4)WC(1).  Unfortunately I
do not have console access to this switch as it is under the
administrative control of my employer's (Vanderbilt University) Network
Engineering staff.  They were over this morning to verify that the four
switch ports I am using are in fact "trunked" on the switch.

Questions:

Are there any diagnostics I can run under Linux to determine if in fact
the bonding driver is successfully negotating a fast etherchannel
connection with the switch?

Does anyone know any useful IOS hoodoo I can suggest the Network
Engineering guys run on their switch to diagnose the issue?

Are there any known success and/or horror stories involving this
ethernet card and cisco fast etherchannel via the linux bonding driver?
Google has been less than fruitful in answering this particular
question.

If I can't get this working, any suggestions on how to debug it?  The
Network Engineering staff offered to open a case with Cisco over it, but
I do not wish to do that until I have verified that this is a problem
with their switch and not with Linux.

What I will try in the meantime until other suggestions reach my INBOX:

I'm going to install FreeBSD on the machine and configure their fast
etherchannel netgraph module and see if it works, at least that way I
can narrow my search parameters.

I would appreciate any and all advice and suggestions.

Thanks,

Brandon D. Valentine
--
http://www.geekpunk.net                         bandix@geekpunk.net