Re: How To Disable NETDEV WATCHDOG

Thank you a lot for so many helps! Bernd,

Finally my problems, which arise when the network
cable is unplugged from nic, are gone. These are my
findings:

Slow syslogd and X startup and "telnet localhost"
from console (about 15 seconds) with the following
settings:

/etc/hosts:

127.0.0.0 localhost
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx myhost.my.domain

/etc/resolv.conf:

nameserver yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

/etc/host.conf:

order hosts, bind
multi on

syslogd shows repeated message:

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

X spits the following message and delays about 15
seconds before the window is opened:

Hostname: host name lookup failure

Telnet from other host also takes long to connect.

When /etc/hosts is changed to the following, all the
above problems, except slow connection from other
host, disappear:

127.0.0.0 localhost localhost.my.domain
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx myhost myhost.my.domain

After entry:

zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz client client.my.domain

is added to /etc/hosts

telenting from other host gets connected swiftly.

I don't quite understand how things go this way, but
these changes fix my problems for now.

Best Regards,

CN

You too can have your own email address from Eurosport.
http://www.eurosport.com

-