Re: 100 Mbit NIC and 10Mbit switch

Hi

> Can I connect a 100Mbit NIC to a 10Mbit switch without having to configure
> the NIC using mii-tool?

mayby though it depends alot on what cards you are using do they auto sense
the 10Mbit
at the other end or do they try to stick to 100 ?

> I am trying to create a network where in the edges are 100Mbit and the
> core is 10Mbit as follows:

seems strange for a very small amount of extra money you could have a
100Mbit
switch in the middle is it really worth the performance difference ?

>    100Mbit                10Mbit                 100Mbit
>   |*******| <----------> |*******| <----------> |*******|
>    switch                 switch                 switch

> All my network interfaces and switches work at 100Mbit and I am wondering
> if I need to buy a 10Mbit switch for the core. I know that i can use
> mii-tool to force the NIC to work at 10Mbit, but is it reliable?

i still dont clearly understand what you are trying todo if you plug
switches together where does linux come into this ?
unless you are using linux as a switch which is probably more expensive
than using a real switch and you may get worse perfomance as well.

        James

-