Re: Math in hashing funtions (routing code)

   From: Amit Kucheria <amitk@ittc.ku.edu>
   Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 04:54:09 -0500 (CDT)

   Also, why is the source address a part of the hashing function? As far as
   I can see, in the case of a router, wherever the packet might be coming
   from (src), its outgoing path would ONLY depend on the destination
   address and hence the outgoing interface.

Linux supports making routing decisions based upon both source
and destination address, as well as using other keys such as TOS.

As far as I know the hashing function was determined using trial
and error, you're not going to find any scientific paper about it.
-