sendto() drops data without telling the application layer?

Hi everyone,
I have this applications that uses UDP to send data within an isolated LAN.
The throughput is very high. This is the configuration I have:
Red Hat Linux 6.2 with kernel 2.2.18

To test the performance of this application I measured how much data was
sent according to the returning value of sendto() and I also measured with a
sniffer program how much data was actually being transmitted to the network
To my surprise these two parameters were not the same. After reading the
manual page for sendto() I came across the following:
ENOBUFS The output queue for a network interface was full. This generally
indicates that the interface has stopped sending, but may be caused by
transient congestion. (This cannot occur in Linux, packets are just silently
dropped when a device queue overflows.)

What I understand is that actually data may be dropped without the
application receving any error message. Is there any easy way to get around
this problem or this is intrinsic to Linux and therefore I should hack it in
order to sovlve it?

many thanks
Raul
-