Re: How to build router that can statistically delay/drop/destroy packets?

"Ralf G. R. Bergs" <rabe@RWTH-Aachen.DE> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> for simulation purposes we would like to build a router that can delay, drop,
> and destroy packets based on certain specifications (such as loss probability.)
>
> We are currently thinking about using the NETDEV feature included in current
> kernels (packet queueing and userspace program that dequeues and (eventually)
> forwards the packets.)
>
> Is this the way to go? Any pointers to some documentation about this feature (we
> couldn't find any)? Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ralf

Hi,

we've been prototyping something very similar, using the QUEUE target
in iptables and the libipq library (include in the iptables distro).

It's not quite designed to be used in that way (rather as a
way to write user space packets filters), ASFAIK, but it
seems to work. You may delay and reorder packets. On thing that
might bite you is that the kernal still keeps individual packets,
and your user space program must explicitly tell the kernal to
drop packets (even though they were "handed over" to you).

What is NETDEV?

Kind regards,
        Mattias
-