sockets remain ESTABLISHED after program is gone

For several minutes after my server program
terminates, the sockets that it created remain in an ESTABLISHED state
(according to netstat).
Aren't the connections supposed to revert to a TIME_WAIT state?

While the sockets remain in an ESTABLISHED state I cannot re-bind()
to the port, even if I use the SO_REUSEADDR socket option.
Once they return to a TIME_WAIT state I can bind and everything
is OK.

While the sockets remain in an ESTABLISHED state my client
program can connect() to the port, even though the program
that did the bind(),listen(), and accept() did a close() the socket
and terminated a minute earlier.  This strikes me as very odd.

Is this a bug?  Can I change this?
I'm using a 2.4.9-31smp Redhat kernel.

Thanks for any help.

-Frank