Linux and RNDIS

Ok, I'm about to broach a topic that might be a sore spot - be I'm
trying to make sure I understand what I'm dealing with here. A customer
has approach us about some Linux driver work for a USB network device
that is a USB RNDIS class device. A quick review of the USB RNDIS stuff
from MS reveals that USB RNDIS follows the Abstract Control Model -
which means MS defines the data format.

My question(s) are:

Is this just an obvious case of MS trying to get hardware vendors to
build Windows-specific hardware?

It looks like the EULA at the MS site forces you to agree that you will
not use the info on any other platforms - ie: eliminating the
possibility of legally implementing an RNDIS class driver on Linux -
has anyone else come to this conclusion?

If this is the case - why would a hardware vendor build an RNDIS device
- is it solely 'cause then they don't have to provide drivers 'cause MS
  will?

Is there any possible way of supporting such a device on non-Windows
platforms - like somebody who has not reviewed the MS RNDIS information
reverse-engineering the data format with a CATC or something? Or would
that likely result in MS legal attacks? (Not that that should be a
reason to not attempt it.)

Thanks,
-Chris

-