connection hangs over IP masq (not the usual MTU problem)

There's one site I can't reach through my Linux IP masqerading
gateway.  Searching and reading about the MTU issues has not helped
me resolve this problem, nor can I find any other explanation for
the hangs I'm observing.  I would be extremely grateful for any
assistance.

Parameters:
- IP masq has worked reliably with this configuration for over a
  year, until this problem.
- Gateway kernel is 2.2.20.
- gateway <-> internet connection is via ethernet (ne2k) to a cable
  modem (AT&T broadband).  MTU is 1500.
- gateway <-> masq'ed client connection is via wireless LAN (ray_cs,
  from recent Hinds PCMCIA distribution).  MTU is 1500.
- The site I'm trying to reach is www.oracle.com, via HTTP.  I can
  reach it with no trouble directly from the gateway, but cannot
  with any HTTP client from a masq'ed machine.  I usually get back
  headers and part of the body (~ 890 bytes, so presumably the first
  packet); then it hangs.

My understanding is that a typical MTU blackhole problem occurs when
the internet connection has a smaller MTU than the LAN connection.
Just in case the problem was a difference in framing overhead
between the ethernet and the wireless LAN, I lowered the MTU on the
wireless LAN.  This led me to observe a separate problem: when the
two hosts on the wireless LAN disagreed about the MTU, connections
between them would hang.  Is this expected?  I was very surprised.
Anyway, I changed the MTU in sync on both hosts and tried various
values (1400, 1000, 500), and the masq problem didn't go away.  Just
in case my understanding was backwards, I also tried lowering the
MTU on the gateway ethernet link to the cable modem, with no
success.

I append a tcpdump of the internet link while running "wget
www.oracle.com" on the masq'ed client.  I don't have any expertise
in interpreting it, so I'm hoping that the problem will be obvious
to someone who does.  I don't know how to dump packets on the ray_cs
interface, but I guess it must be possible....

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew

12:48:25.483873 pimlott.ne.mediaone.net.62080 > bigip-www.us.oracle.com.www: S 2876545954:2876545954(0) win 5840 <mss 1460,sackOK,timestamp 98472547 0,nop,wscale 0> (DF)