Re: Richard Stevens Volume 1 Online version. Complete book

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 02:07:02AM -0600, Amit Kucheria wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 12:22:52AM -0600, Amit Kucheria wrote:
> > > Thought this would be a good resource for all programmers in case they
> > > were not aware of it.
> > >
> > > it is at http://www.uic.rsu.ru/doc/inet/tcp_stevens/
> >
> >    That appears to be an illegal scanned copy of the material.
> >    Don't be surprised when the publisher demands its removal.
>
> Hmm....i am not aware of the 'scanning' technologies...but is it possible
> to do such a good scan? Except for the diagrams, the book looks really
> good...including the cross-referencing.
>
> I wont be too sad if it is removed...for I am armed with my own copy :)

   I have the whole set of books myself.
   (It describes certain snapshot of BSD IP stack, _NOT_ Linux IP stack.)

   "scanning" means using a flat-bed scanner to read each page in as
   pixels, and then to OCR the text in, and manually post-processing
   it to clean and correct OCR mistakes, and finally to add HTML tagging.
   Possibly just hand-typing it all in.  Finally adding pictures in
   as GIFs/whatever.

   If the pictures had not been obviously skewed/pixleized, it could
   have been published in that form from the source material, in which
   case the issue becomes more difficult to determine -- but it would
   have been at the publisher's site, or publisher approved with clear
   indication of the issue, anyway.

   An example of manual published directly into HTML is:
      http://www.zmailer.org/zman/zmanual.html

   Another can be seen at   http://www.docbook.org/
   (that with paper-copy publisher's approval!)

> ciao,
> Amit

/Matti Aarnio
-