Re: IPv6 and IPv4

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
> Could you please explain, why ipv6 now requires ipv4 for compilation?
> Is it needed so strong, and have you any plans for changeing this?

'now'?  It has always required IPv4.  To de-couple these,
protocol-independent stuff that's currently in IPv4 (like TCP) would have
to be separated to be version-independent.

AFAIK, this isn't planned but might or might not happen in 2.5 series
kernel.

Personally, this wouldn't be too useful in production environments, but
would be beneficial in seeing what the dependencies really are.  In test
environments IPv6-only would also be an interesting choice.

-