Re: Weird ip stuff with NIC

John Peel wrote:

> Then to test the setup I try to switch machine A over to an internal ip
> address (192.168.1.10). This has been done manually by editing
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, as well as using linuxconf and
> netconfig. After doing this ifconfig shows that it still has the same
> address it last had when using dhcp.

Note that editing configuration files (e.g. ifcfg-eth0) won't, in
itself, change the NIC's settings. You would need to use something
like:

	/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

> However a ping shows that it is using
> the internal ip.

In what way?

> and route shows that eth0 has two addresses the internal
> ip as well as the dhcp ip.

"route" doesn't tell you anything about which IP addresses are bound
to a NIC. It may tell you that a certain IP address is routed via a
particular NIC, but that doesn't mean that the IP address is bound to
the NIC.

> I have been able to get it to have only the internal ip by restarting the
> entire machine which should not be necessary.

A reboot will (amongst other things) run:

	/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start

> the next part isn't so important but once I get machine A to work properly
> I can ping itself, I can also ping the router but not the outside world.
> The router can ping itself and the outside world but not machine A.

Does the router have the correct routing information for machine A?

Are you using any form of NAT (e.g. masquerading) on the router? If
not, then machine A definitely won't be able to talk to the rest of
the Internet (it may be able to send packets, but those packets will
have a source address of 192.168.1.10, so you won't get any replies).

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net>
-