Re: Inconsistent stats for networking

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Casey Carter wrote:

> > Ip:
> >     21583882 total packets received   <----- Shouldnt this be 11122600 +
> > 696141 + 981311 = 21631852 ?
>

> Only if every packet you received is an _IP_ packet (and you missed the
> "72" on the loopback interface).

I didnt forget. I was going under the idea that loopback stats are for
those packets whose destination is either the localhost or for a local ip.
I mistakenly thought that this meant that the packets would already have
been counted by the other interfaces, but I guess packets sent to
127.0.0.1 wouldnt have been captured on the other interfaces.

> > Icmp:
> >     554 ICMP messages received
> >     0 input ICMP message failed.
> >     ICMP input histogram:
> >         destination unreachable: 1
> >         echo requests: 526
> >         echo replies: 27
> >     889 ICMP messages sent
> >     0 ICMP messages failed
> >     ICMP output histogram:
> >         destination unreachable: 338
> >         time exceeded: 25
> >         echo replies: 526
> > Tcp:
> >     7 active connections openings
> >     0 passive connection openings
> >     0 failed connection attempts
> >     0 connection resets received
> >     1 connections established
> >     11130 segments received          <--|______  What are these numbers?
> >     15656 segments send out          <--|
>

> Number of packets received / sent that were TCP packets.

I assume that the bit you didnt state here is that these packet counts are
for packets originating from or destined for the router itself. If not,
the numbers seems very small.

Thanks,
Kenneth

-