RE: setting up ftpd/telnetd on my linux machine

I did ran strace on my xinetd process which was listening on the ports.
My understanding is that when somebody connects using ftp, xinetd will
do some more stuff and again start listening on the ports. But in my case,
when I started ftp/telnet from windows client to the linux machine, the
xinetd
was still sitting on listening on the ports. So I guess, it is not even
forking
the in.wuftpd/telnetd processes. The configuration files for wuftpd will be
read by wuftpd when it is started. But in my case, wuftpd itself does not
seem be starting.

When I did ftp from the same machine, it worked fine without any problem
and I could see xinetd getting out of listening and finally forking
in.wuftpd.

This is my local net. How do I verify whether there is any firewall or not ?

Somehow it looks like xinetd does not come to know that some client is
trying
to start a session. Any explainations ?

Hiren Mehta
Software Design Engineer