Re: Do the server daemons require IP address to name resolution?

Isaac Claymore schrieb:

> On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 10:15:50AM +0100, Peter Wächtler wrote:
> >
> > If the service gets started from inetd:
> >
> > look at /etc/inetd.conf.
> >
> > If the tcpd wrapper is used, it tries to do a reverse lookup for logging
> > the event.
> >
> > e.g.
> > # ftp   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd
> >
> > Try removing /usr/sbin/tcpd
> > -
>
> I'm using xined and according its manual :
>
>         "When a connection is made to xinetd, a reverselookup is performed, and..."
>
> And i cant figure out how to disable this reverselookup after reading the manual. Do
> you have any suggestion about disabling the reverselookup(without eliminating xinetd)?

Well, I have never used xinetd.
So either switch to inetd or look if you can disable this feature.

man xinetd.conf
and searching for "reverse" gave me:

       only_from        determines the remote hosts to which  the
                        particular  service  is  available.   Its
                        value is a list of IP addresses which can
                        be  specified  in  any combination of the
                        following ways:

[...]
                        d)   a  host  name.  When a connection is
                             made to xinetd, a reverse lookup  is
                             performed,  and  the  canonical name
                             returned is compared to  the  speci­
                             fied  host  name.   You may also use
                             domain  names   in   the   form   of
                             .domain.com.   If the reverse lookup
                             of  the  client's   IP   is   within
                             .domain.com, a match occurs.

But I guess, xinetd will always try to do a reverse lookup for "successfull"
logging a name instead of an IP address.
-