RFC: PPP to a userspace device?

Hi,

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that I wanted to write a PPP
channel handler in userspace rather than inside the kernel.  My idea
is to write a new PPPoX protocol, "pppou" (ppp over userspace), using
pppoe.c as example code.  Instead of handling packets that come down
from the network stack by calling an ethernet card's transmit
function, it will instead queue them for a userspace program to read.
That userspace program can then read the packet and send it to some
physical device.  Similarly, skb's written to the pppou device will be
copied from userspace and get ppp_input called.  (I'm doing this
because I have a system with a special kind of network interface that
can be read/written using userspace code.)

Am I on the right track at all?

Also, a related question: how hard would it be to write a "PPP over a
file descriptor" channel?  In other words, a PPPOX protocol where you
ioctl in an FD, and packets that come in from the network stack get
written to that fd, and vice versa.  This seems like a bigger problem
since I think an arbitrary fd would have to be used in process'
context but the network stack delivers packets in a BH.

Sorry if this question doesn't make any sense - I'm still trying to
learn the PPP code.

Best,
Jer

-