Re: Data about interrupt avoidance

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Manfred Spraul wrote:

> I've cleaned up the winbond-840 interrupt handler and added a very
> simple interrupt avoidance scheme:

"Cleaned up"??  Uhmm, that's certainly not cleaner.

Also, keep in mind that the winbond-840 driver is a special case.  The
Tx FIFO limit circuitry is broken on some chips.  The driver must
explicitly limit how many bytes are permitted into the on-chip FIFO to
avoid transmit corruption.

> Result:
> single stream tcp receive performance up from 9.2 MB/sec to 10.5 MB/sec
> (mtu 1500).

MTU=1500 at 100Mbps should never be an interesting case.  A P5-100
system could handle 2-3 full-rate 100Mbps connections.

> In both cases, 0 packet drops (as expected - one tcp streams with a
> window of 64 kB and a 64 entry rx queue makes packet drops impossible)
>
> IMHO that shows that packet drops are not the right sign when to switch
> on interrupt mitigation - packets aren't dropped,

This should be obvious: making a long Rx ring will prevent packets from
being dropped.  However that same long Rx will prevent the appropriate
packets from being dropped when the system is overloaded.

> instead the tcp sender
> just sends packets slower and performance goes down.

Isn't that the desired effect?
Specifically: dropping packets is sometimes the correct way to indicate
TCP congestion.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993

-