Re: Some ne2000 cards do I/O at port 0x220

From: tim@fungible.com

From: "Jamie Harris" <jamie@jharris.homeip.net>
>I've never seen an NE2000 compatible SMC card.  You sure you are
>using the right module?  All my SMC cards have always been driven by
>the smcultra module

I found out the driver disk and opened my computer case to see what it
is.

It's an SMC 1660T.  I just now tried both the ne and smc-ultra
drivers, and ne works and smc-ultra doesn't.  I vaguely remember that
some Linux networking FAQ lead me to expect this at some point, but I
can't find the reference now.

The card comes in Plug-and-play mode.  I initially left it in that
mode.  When Linux booted, the IO port was 0x220.

In this morning's experiment, I used the DOS-based driver diskette to
put the card into jumperless mode, then I configured the IO port to be
0x300.  Apparently jumperless mode means it acts like a card with
jumpers, except you change the jumpers with their software.  I
compiled a Linux kernel without my patch that includes 0x220 in the
port list, and it found the card.

Conclusion: if the goal is to support as many cards out-of-the-box as
possible, then adding 0x220 to the port list for the ne.c driver would
move towards the goal as long as probing that port doesn't break
something else.  If it's acceptable to require the user to boot DOS to
configure the card, then it's safer to keep the current code and
expect people to configure the card use some port on the list, except
the list of ports is only available if you read the source.  Hmm.
Maybe the story is that they should load the module and specify the
port number to the module; that saves them from reading the list of
ports in the source code.

--
Tim Freeman
tim@fungible.com; formerly tim@infoscreen.com