Re: Network Interface bonding and ARP

Thanks for the reply and the id of the bonding list.

>The hardware addresss for the bond are all identical,
>so the arp table only has one entry, for the shared ip
>address and hardware address.
>
>From an outbound point of view,
>   the target hardware is determined by the logic
>   you select, for example xor mode.

--------> My question is more intended towards a scheme like 2 linux
boxes back to back connected (without a switch inbetween) and
RR scheduling algorithm which can send packets of a single session over
multiple cards.

Let us consider the sending case (outbound packets).

If my understanding is correct, ethernet cards have a fixed MAC address
which we cannot change - so, when we say that all bonded cards have
same HW address, I think we are talking about just the software state
at the driver.  Please let me know if I am correct?

One of the things I understand is that a card (hardware) doesnt grab a
packet destined to some other card - for this the hardware will check the
destination address on the card and with its own MAC address (which is
determined at the time of Manufacture of the card and cannot be changed
programmatically) - if they are different it will just drop it.

Hence, I was just wondering if this would lead to a scenario in which while
striping the packets of a single connection over multiple cards, we need to
do certain things like asking for the "actual" MAC address of the card on
the current link.

Please note that my observation is based on the fact that to send a packet
to the card, nomatter whether it is bonded or not, we need to address it
with it's actual MAC address (which is fixed for a card and cannot be
changed).

Please let me know if I am missing something.

                Thanks,
                Murthy