Re: ARP

Its not a typo. Its a request for its own IP.

Gratuitous arps are essentially a self arp i.e. think of
the host advertising its own mac address/ip address.

The host sending out a garp can detect a duplicate IP
if it receives a reply (it should not normally receive
a reply to its own address).

It can also be used to advertise a new MAC address which
comes in very handy in failover situations and clustering
solutions.

Hope that helps,

thanks,
Nivedita