Re: ARP

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Brad Bonkoski wrote:

> Okay,
> I know what ARP is....
> Gratuitous ARP as defined in TCP/IP ILLUSTRATED VOL.1, The Protocols by W.
> Richard Stevens
> "It occurs when a host sends an ARP request looking for its own IP address.
> This is usually done when the interface is configured at bootstrap time."
> Now, to me, that sounds like RARP, bootp, etc... but I could be wrong.  So,
> I ask you all.  Of course I have never heard of this either, never was
> defined in my Comer TCP/IP books...

That looks distincly like a typo.  RARP requests are used to find a host's
network address.  ARP requests are used to find a host's MAC address. He
probably meant RARP.  Check the web page for that book and see if that's
listed as an erratum, and if not then get Stevens's address and mail him
about it.

Nowadays most people handle BOOTP/RARP with the DHCP server from the ISC,
or similar.  But the old crufty BOOTP server for Linux is still floating
around somewhere.  IIRC ISC DHCP will handle BOOTP so you don't really
need the old BOOTP server to eg boot your dickless Sun workstation.

HTH
'james

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.2069 N, 149.766 W,

-