Re: hw csum and htons?

   From: Wolfgang Wegner <ww@kt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
   Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 14:21:53 +0200

   Aug  9 15:59:00 till kernel: hw tcp v4 csum failed
   Aug  9 15:59:03 till kernel: udp v4 hw csum failure.

   I found the htons conversion in acenic.c, and included the htons in
   the sunhme driver to convert the hw-csum, and it works without further
   errors.

Thanks, I've fixed sunhme.c and sungem.c in my tree.  These are the
only two drivers which really have a problem with this, and mostly
it's because I never test these drivers on little endian systems
which is where the ntohs() matters.

   As this conversion is missing in (almost) all other drivers,

Not true, only sungem and sunhme have the bug.  Currently, only acenic
sunhme and sungem chips provide the receive checksum value and thus
have it plugged into skb->csum on receive.  Other chips just say "TCP
checksum passed", ie. only a boolean state.

   P.S.: If someone has ideas on how to implement auto-detection of card type,
         (based on prom information?), perhaps one could make the driver
         fully functional also on other architectures than sparc. Unfortunately,
         I only own this single hme card, so can not do much testing...

You need to dump the PCI rom from the card and figure out how to
decipher the information in there.  Most useful as a first task
would be to find where they place the card's ethernet address.
I honestly don't have the time to help with this, nor do I know
more information than I've just told you.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com
-