Re: Gigabit ethernet cards (Pro/1000 copper)

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, David Radclyfe wrote:

> I'm testing some copper based Intel Pro/1000 cards for
> use in a higher performance system.
> They show on a lspci -v as 66 MHz PCI as they should.
> I have verified I am routing properly and all 3 cards
> in the machine are working.
..
> 1) The cards show only as using 32 Mem access on
> lspci, but the cards are 64 and the motherboard
> supports it. I tried both the Becker and Intel
> drivers. Is 64bit just not supported in the release?

Are you referring to the memory region for the chip registers?
64 bit cards sometimes only support 32 bit operations for slave
(bus-target) transactions.  This simplifies the design and has a
negligible impact on performance since most bus operations are as a
bus master.

The only time the CPU might initiate a 64 bit data transaction to the
NIC is writing two 64 bit descriptor addresses when the interface is
brought up.  All other reads and writes to the NIC are 32 bits.  On the
other had, almost all NIC bus-masters operations to main memory are 64 bit
words.

The other aspect of 32 bit operation is that the base address register
is only 32 bits.  This just means that the card must be mapped below
4GB.  This has no impact on performance.

> 2) Before trying to run any real code, I have tried
> some basic performance tests -- using scp..

As mentioned in another message, 'scp' encryption is expensive.

> and just blasting small (~256 byte) UDP packets from one
> machine to the other and seeing how long it takes to
> send 100k packets.

Hmmm, now that should have been fast.

> ... Again
> I have tried both the Becker and Intel modules.

Please confirm: the "intel-gige.c" driver works with the Intel Pro/1000
copper card?  What board assembly is that?  I developed with the fiber
card and I don't yet have a copper card to test with.

[[ For those that don't know, the "intel-gige.c" driver is a driver for
the Intel gigabit cards that I released a few months ago.  It supports
big+little endian and 64 bit processors, and is released under the GPL. ]]

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993

-